Monday, June 11, 2012

THE SUBWAY

Here we are at the beginning of the longest and most difficult hike that I have done. One day I decided that I wanted to hike the Subway, because if you remember from before I decided that I needed to go on more hikes. Well, I decided this one would be fun because it was not just straight up hiking....it has obstacles. Kevin put his name in for a permit & we got it. Kevin's cousins that live down in St. George came with us and some of our friends. Some of them had done it but not for a long time. It was a very pretty hike walking in. I encountered my first many walks through the water. Yes....we saw a tarantula there!!! I hate spiders and this freaked me out a bit. YUCKY!! This picture still gives me the chills every time I see it. This is one of the swimming parts we had to do. I have never been so cold in my life. Some of the water has never seen the light of day. It was so frigid!! It was fun but any longer in that water & I wouldn't be able to go on. I can't imagine getting stuck in there and spending the night as I have read stories about before I left that freaked me out a bit....but that is during the spring. This is why they call it the subway. It was pretty cool to see it. It really is a pretty hike. i loved being down in there! This is one of the waterfalls that you come to towards the end when you follow the river down to the exit. Kevin went down the slide that he saw on the internet. It was pretty funny. It was nice to be in the sun finally! This is a picture of the very end. This picture doesn't show it very well, but we were clear down in the bottom of that valley. At the end of the hike, Kevin told me that was the way out. I looked up & saw these tiny people way up this huge mountain!! You want me to go up what, are you crazy? Seriously..... it was straight up. It had some switch backs but it took me forever to get up there. I was so happy to make it to the top. I kept thinking what have I gotten myself into! I am SO tired after all that hiking & now I have to climb my way out. It took us 8 hours to do the 9 mile hike. There were lots of obstacles and some that we had to rappel down. It was a very fun time, tiring but fun . We learned many things to do and not to do. First on my list if I do it again....good shoes. My shoes were HORRIBLE! Thanks for the fun time!

No comments: